Google Alert - recipe

Bookmark and Share

Google Alert - recipe


VIDEO <b>RECIPE</b>: Buttermilk Biscuits with Chorizo Sausage and Quick <b>...</b>

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 02:40 AM PDT

Here's the second installment in Rock Recipes video cooking series with CBC Newfoundland and Labrador. Regular readers know I love my Sunday Brunch and this recipe is a real stick-to-your- ribs kind of start to a busy weekend day. Check out how to make the lightest buttermilk biscuits and how to quickly and simply make some homemade chorizo sausage. Add some quick-cooked, fresh tomato compote and scrambled egg and you've got one outstanding brunch dish.

For iPad and iPhone users, if the video does not load below please try this link on the CBC website.

Find the individual recipes in this dish at the links below: 

Buttermilk Biscuits

Chorizo Sausage

Spicy Quick Tomato Compote

<b>Recipes</b>: Roasted eggplant soup with Indian spices

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 02:20 AM PDT

When used properly, eggplant can provide many health benefits, including being important in the treatment and prevention of cancer.

This less glamorous vegetable is high in fibre and Vitamin B. Confused about adding it to your diet in the day, try this roasted eggplant soup...

Ingredients

1/4 cup uncooked red lentils

1 whole bulb garlic + 1 tsp oil to rub on it

1 large eggplant / Aubergine / Brinjal

2 tablespoon olive oil

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

6 cups Veg stock

3/4 cup tomato puree - I made fresh at home ( *recipe in Notes )

1 dash cayenne pepper

1 cup milk

1 tsp Cumin powder, red chili powder each

1 tsp crushed bay leaves

Salt to taste

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with foil. Peel away any excess paper from the bulb of garlic, then cut the top off to expose the cloves.

Rub exposed cloves with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil, and set onto the prepared baking sheet. Poke the eggplant all over with a fork; place onto baking sheet.

Bake these in the preheated oven until the garlic has turned golden brown and the eggplant is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool until good enough to handle bare hands.

Peel eggplant and chop into large chunks; peel or squeeze the roasted garlic from its skin, and set aside.

While these two are baking, prepare red lentils aside. Soak them for half an hour, wash and drain well.

Pour in 2 cups of water in a pan, add in the lentils with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.

Turn the flame to lowest and simmer the lentils for nearly half an hour, covered, till they are all tender and mushy.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.

Stir in onion, and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.

Pour in veg stock, and then stir in reserved eggplant, roasted garlic, tomato puree, cooked lentils and spices.

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.

Once cooked, carefully puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return soup to the stove in a clean saucepan.

Stir in the milk, season to taste with salt, cumin powder, crushed bay leaves and pepper; cook over medium-low heat until hot.

Serve with a dash of cream on top with bread of choice aside.

Notes from my kitchen:

I usually make my own pureed tomatoes, by boiling 3-4 of them in 2 cups of water and peeling them after cooling. You can keep this in fridge for upto a week and I usually do this in winters when I survive on quick meal. You may also add more cream to this soup for rich texture and obviously more taste and calories. You may omit the lentils completely, for a distinct flavour. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs like Parsley, Sage, cilantro etc. as per your choice. It can be stored in fridge for up to 4-5 days.

Read more Personal Health, Diet & Fitness stories on www.healthmeup.com

Make Sure You Use The Correct <b>Recipe</b> ;-) - Discuss Cooking <b>...</b>

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 02:10 AM PDT

I live in a place which falls somewhere between being a very small town and a very large village. Today was our annual food and drink festival - all the restaurants and food shops and the local craft brewery had stands in the main street and the Womens' Institutute and various interest groups and charities were selling home made cakes, pickles and jams, home grown fruit and veg, etc.

I was at the local Spanish restaurant's stand where, among other goodies, they were making and selling paella

I was very much amused when a woman in her 60s, so about my age, started berating the (Spanish) chef about the paella not being a "real" one. The basis of her argument was that she had eaten paella once in Spain when she was 15 years old and it wasn't like this.

I was sorely tempted to tell her that I'd spent several years in Spain when I was younger and had been taught to make paella by a Spaniard but none of the many paellas I've eaten, including my own, has ever been the same as the previous one I ate. I've had them with all shellfish or shellfish and rabbit or chicken or hake or all of them or no shellfish at all and once a vegetarian paella (which was delicious). I even went to a beach party when host was going to cook the paella on a portable stove and, spotting a plastic carrier bag on a chair, I opened it and discovered a live wild duck looking enquiringly up at me. And yes, the poor thing was destined for the paella! Fortunately good manners topped revulsion and I ate my share of the poor thing. (I'm not averse to eating dead animals, I just don't like to be introduced to them while they are still alive.)

Healthy <b>recipe</b>

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 02:02 AM PDT

Veggie Pate

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 1 Hour

Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes

Servings: 16

"Sandwiches and crackers will be transformed into savory wonders by this flavorful spread filled with vegetables, herbs and spices."

Ingredients:

1 cup sunflower seeds

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup nutritional yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 potato, peeled and chopped

1 large carrot, peeled and sliced

1 onion, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

1 clove garlic, peeled

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves

1/2 teaspoon dried sage

1/2 teaspoon dried savory

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.

2. In a food processor, blend sunflower seeds, whole wheat flour, nutritional yeast, salt, vegetable oil, lemon juice, potato, carrot, onion, celery, garlic, water, thyme, basil, sage, savory, pepper and dry mustard. Process the mixture until almost smooth.

3. Transfer mixture to the baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven 1 hour, or until bubbly and lightly browned.

Nutrition Info:

Calories: 102

Total Fat: 7.1g

Cholesterol: 0mg

Sodium: 80mg

Total Carbs: 7.8g

Dietary Fiber: 2.1g

Protein: 3g

the epic chocolate banana peanut butter birthday cake! {<b>recipe</b>}

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 02:00 AM PDT

Last weekend, I turned 28. This weekend I got ID twice when we went to go see a show at the casino. 28 going on 16! I've always had a baby face. I have also always loved chocolate, peanut butter and banana. And baking. So much fun!

At my work, we always get a cake of the birthday person's choice for afternoon tea. I haven't eaten any of them so far ;) but for my own birthday, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to bake my OWN cake and bring it in to share with my awesome work team.Of course, it had to be gluten free, mostly dairy free (exception of butter) and use less refined sources of sugar. (I wasn't going to try a completely sugar free cake because I know it would be a bit risky for others' taste buds). 
And so this epic layer cake was created! I mish mashed a few recipes together and modified them and then created some of my own too. John said it was the BEST cake I have ever made. I have to agree! You would not have a clue that this has healthy ingredients in it. No one guessed it had quinoa in the chocolate cake. I  was rather smug about that! 

It was also rather exciting cutting it open at work - I had no idea if the layers had all behaved themselves or if it was going to stay together ... but it did! The slice photographs are not fantastic as it was of the last piece that I transported home for John, so it was a little damaged.

So if you have a special occasion coming up, then click read more for the recipe - this is your go-to cake. Enjoy!


Chocolate Cake 
adapted from Mels Kitchen Cafe 

Ingredients

2 cups cooked black quinoa, cooled (black quinoa is a bit earthier & sweeter)

1/3 cup almond milk

4 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3/4 cup organic butter, melted and cooled

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Method

  1. For the cake, preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the bottoms of the pan with parchment paper.
  2. Add the almond milk, eggs and vanilla to a high powered blender. Blend just until combined.
  3. Add the cooked quinoa and the butter. Blend well until smooth. 
  4. In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut sugar, cacao baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  5. Pour in the contents from the blender and whisk until combined.
  6. Pour the cake tin and and bake on a rack in the middle position for 40-50 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  7. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool totally on a wire rack.
  8. Use a sharp serrated bread knife to cut the cake into two layers.

Banana Cake

Ingredients

2 ripe bananas

2 extra large organic eggs

3/4 cup coconut milk (left over from ganache)

30g organic butter, melted and cooled

1 1/4 cups gluten-free plain flour, sifted

1/2 cup unsweetened, desiccated coconut

2 tsp gluten-free baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

Method

  1. For the cake, preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the bottoms of the pan with parchment paper.
  2. Add bananas, eggs, coconut milk, melted butter to a high powered blender. Blend just until combined.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut, sugar, flours, baking powder, cinnamon and stir until well combined.
  4. Pour in the contents from the blender and whisk until combined.
  5. Pour the cake tin and and bake on a rack in the middle position for 40-50 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  6. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool totally on a wire rack.
  7. Use a sharp serrated bread knife to cut the cake into two layers.
checks out those layers baby!
Peanut Butter Mousse

Ingredients

1 can full fat organic coconut milk, cream only

3 tablespoons organic maple syryp

Method

  1. Chill your can of full-fat coconut milk overnight.
  2. When you are ready to make the mousse, open up the can and scoop the thick coconut cream into a large bowl (try to keep as much liquid out of the cream as possible).
  3. Add the PB2 to the bowl and beat the mixture for 2-5 minutes (I used my Mixmaster).

Raw Caramel Butter + Banana Slices

Ingredients

8 Medjool dates

3 tbsp coconut oil

3 tbsp almond butter

1 banana

Method 

  1. Blend all ingredients, starting with a ¼ teaspoon of the salt, in a food processor.
  2. Pulse until well combined, then let it process for several minutes.
  3. Taste to check salt level and add more if desired.
  4. The mixture will warm slightly in the processor and the textures will meld, eventually forming a thick delicious caramel butter.
  5. Pop in the fridge (easier to spread once cold).

Chocolate Ganache

Ingredients

600g dark chocolate

1 can full fat organic coconut cream, cream only

Method

  1. Place chocolate and cream in a glass bowl.
  2. Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water, (or a bain marie) and stir until melted and smooth.
  3. Stand at room temperature until thickened.

NOTE: You must make sure the cake it TOTALLY cooled down. Stone cold. Even pop the layers in the fridge for 30 minutes before assembling. Also, I put the peanut butter mousse as the first layer, but I've noted below to use it in the top layer as it was a little wobbly when assembly (too much weight) - this cake was quite the architectural feat!

The epic assembly!

  1. Place one layer of the banana cake onto your serving plate.
  2. Spread with half the caramel butter (gently warm a little if needed).
  3. Gently press the fresh banana slices into caramel butter, the spread the remaining caramel butter on top (or onto the underside of the chocolate cake layer).
  4. Place one layer of the chocolate cake on top.
  5. Spread with about 1/4 of the chocolate ganache.
  6. Place the second layer of banana cake on top.
  7. Spread the chilled peanut butter mousse on top (must be straight from the fridge or it will ooze out when you do the final layer!).
  8. Place the second layer of chocolate cake on top.
  9. Cover the entire cake with the remaining chocolate ganache (set at room temperature)
  10. Place in the fridge to set.
  11. Slice and enjoy a piece of the chocolatey-banana-peanut-butter-epic-ness! 
layering it up and a taste tester mini version in the bottom right corner



{ 0 Comment... Views All / Send Comment! }

Posting Komentar