Google Alert - recipe |
- Style and substance: Frances Quinn's <b>recipe</b> for success on the <b>...</b>
- <b>Recipe</b>: Carve out a fun snack with pumpkin seeds
- <b>Recipe</b>: Could be Red Lobster Biscuits
- Adventures of a London Kiwi: Butterbeer <b>Recipe</b> (x2)
- One pinch of 'Quinn-tessential'...Frances' secret <b>recipe</b> for Great <b>...</b>
- Rude Boy Rib Sauce, <b>Recipe</b> to Riches | Belly Rumbles
| Style and substance: Frances Quinn's <b>recipe</b> for success on the <b>...</b> Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:44 AM PDT
IT HAS been 10 long weeks of kneading, mixing and decorating, but last night the Great British Bake Off finally rose to the occasion with a gentle finale that still managed to include a pretzel-like twist. Like a perfect bake, the fourth series' rich colour was provided by Paul Hollywood's continuously deepening skin tone, the contestants and their differing styles were the distinct layers and the perfect finish was an always beautifully turned-out Mary Berry. In the end Frances Quinn's meticulous attention to detail and her oft-criticised style-over-substance method trumped "baking ninja" Ruby Tandoh's undisciplined talent and "flavour magpie" Kimberley Wilson's competence and technical know-how. Throughout the series, Paul's favouritism towards the limpid-eyed Ruby seemed so glaring that victory could be the only result. And confident Kimberley with her global cuisine and self-assurance seemed her only threat. Yet in a surprise ending to the episode - and series - the children's clothes designer whipped up a professional-looking three-tier wedding cake bedecked in edible confetti that looked and tasted like a winner. Her competition, however, failed to produce anything similarly show-stopping. Ruby's cake looked half-finished and the icing's putty-colour evoked a bad plastering job rather than a dream cake. Although Kimberley's imaginative sponges looked bright and interesting, the cake's white icing and black lettering gave it a grey-tinge better suited to a funeral than a wedding. The final lap of their baking race began with the challenge of creating a savoury picnic pie. While no doubt a worthy test, the reappearance of pies along with the pretzel challenge didn't quite feel dramatic enough for a finale and here was barely any more tension than on any other episode as a result. Let's hope the Bake Off producers aren't running out of recipes - let's hope Mary has a stash of obscure French classics up her sleeve worthy of revival. Co-presenters Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins seemed to be colour co-ordinated in red and blue jackets, while Paul Hollywood showed off his even deeper tan in a slate grey shirt.
Mary Berry was as chic and tasteful as ever in a white blazer with an Oriental toile-style print, and blue jeans. As the bakers rolled their pastries and prepared their pie fillings, we were treated to scenes of each one with their families. Frances, who towers over Paul and Mary, is the youngest of five children and according to her mother, who has no sense of smell, has been arty since she was a child. Ruby's mum explained that her willowy offspring is never completely happy with anything she does and finds the prospect of winning GBBO "daunting". Kimberley's sister Nicolle then reminisced about growing up in east London where the two girls would cause chaos in the kitchen imagining they were presenting their own cooking programmes. Back in the tent, Kimberley – whose friends and family have advised her to "crush the opposition" - made a Chicken and Pig pie with white, green and white pastry loaded with chicken mousse, pork pate, pancetta and black pudding. An ambitiously meaty offering, the psychologist admitted that experiencing two and a half catastrophes as she practiced the pie had been "traumatic". Frances, looking charming in a printed floral tunic over trousers, admitted: "It means the world to be here right now." Her "rainbow" picnic pie, inspired by the British weather involved rice, two types of trout, turmeric, green beans, asparagus, lemon juice, mint and dill in a woven pastry picnic hamper. Meanwhile, Ruby, looking as on-trend as ever in a white blouse, floral-print shorts and Barbour jacket, was making something a bit too similar – a vegetarian picnic basket pie with halloumi, couscous, sundried tomatoes, oregano and basil. "Is it like appearing at a do in the same dress?" asked Mel. In the first round of judging, Paul appeared to have mellowed, after all it wasn't about finding the worst contestant to eliminate anymore, but about selecting the best. He reserved his strongest censure for Kimberley's pie which was becoming rapidly weakened by the amount of moisture in the filling. He then added "it's almost like glue binding my mouth together". A worrying comment to hear in the final of any competition. Frances's layered pie was just "10 minutes from perfection" according to Paul and Mary was impressed by the neat corners on the pastry "basket". Ruby's, however, garnered the most praise – the layers of filling were up to Mary's exacting standards and the uniformity of the basketwork matched Paul's.
"This is an excellent example of a vegetarian pie," said Mary. And Paul added, "you've finally come up with something that looks like Frances made it." Although clearly disappointed, Kimberley managed to salvage her usual self-assurance for the technical challenge of baking 12 pretzels, six sweet and six savoury. "I've made bread similar to a pretzel before, I know what the process is," she said, as Frances and Ruby stared at the minimal instructions in desperation. The camera cut to the judges sitting at the table as Paul tore apart a perfect pretzel, which presumably he baked earlier. A good pretzel should have a close-textured dough, a rich, deep colour (much like his own tan) and be shaped properly, he said. The bakers stumbled through the task, with Ruby pleading to her pot of boiling water "please, please work" as she added the dough and Kimberley admitting she was praying to the "baking gods".
Kimberley's prayers were answered as her efforts came out on top while Frances's puffy "pretzelsaurus" and Ruby's "monstrous" offerings fell into second and third place. So with that "knotty challenge" over and the final still to fight for, it was on to the last bake of the series and the one that would decide the fates of the final three bakers: to make a three-tier wedding cake. Frances began on her Midsummer Night's Dream wedding cake with layers of lemon victoria sponge with raspberries and cream, ginger and rhubarb cake and carrot cake with falling confetti of dried beetroot, mango and pineapple flowers. Kimberley's Languages of Love cake involved three creative sponges– an orange and pistachio checkerboard, a lemon and elderflower poppyseed cake and a chocolate fudge cake with raspberry sponge "polka dots" – but a bland-looking exterior. Ruby, who admitted she thinks weddings are "an exercise in narcissism" and "can't be bothered" with nuptials, planned a raspberry, lemon and passion fruit wedding cake out of layers of Victoria sponge with lemon and passion fruit curd, raspberries and marscapone cream. But after the six hours were edited down to a swift 20 minutes or so of TV time, her cake never made it to the end of the aisle. As Sue counted down the final minutes of the competition, Ruby mumbled, "I'm not going to finish. I feel so ill." Indeed her tiers looked hurried and the pink and lemon colour palette had the quality of a B&B bathroom colour scheme.
Paul was disappointed in the appearance and as he branded the cakes over-baked, the realisation that she would not win the series kicked in. Ruby's face crumpled and she walked away in tears. Frances could barely heave her cake to the judges' table so Paul Hollywood did the decent thing hand helped her carry it. Mary loved the "original" look of the cake but noted the decoration was concentrated on one side. "I'm round the back and there's nothing around here," she said. But they liked the three sponges and while Paul praised its strong contemporary feel, Mary felt it would make a lovely centrepiece at any wedding. Kimberley's squat-looking creation was no match for Frances's in appearance but the judges were impressed with the imagination and flavour of the sponges on each layer. "Dreams can come true," said Kimberley. "If you know what you want and you set out to get it there's probably a good chance you can achieve that otherwise what's the point?" Related articles
Wise words, Kimberley. However, it became clear that while the judges liked the cakes, they found the look of each tier disappointing. "I'm beginning to feel the outside doesn't reflect the inside." remarked Paul, in a moment of unwitting insight. Then it was time for the women to bring their cakes out to a garden party consisting of their friends, family and other GBBO contestants, thankfully the sun was shining - unlike last year's finale which ended in a downpour. As the judges and Mel and Sue walked into the garden for the grand announcement, Ruby, Kimberley and Frances stood with their arms round each other, heads bowed as they awaited their sentence. After a pause, Sue announced the winner of the 2013 Great British Bake Off was… Frances! A well-deserved win for the modest and wryly funny baker who staggered in shock as her name was announced. "Oh good God," she managed to say afterwards. "I hoped, I dreamt it but I don't think I ever truly, truly believed it," about her win. Paul said: "Frances is a deserved winner, when it came to the showstopper she beat the other two hands down. "She not only gave us the style but she gave us the substance too and that cake, each layer - superb." Mary agreed, "Frances has many qualities, she has attention to detail, she's got excellent flavours, her baking improved as each week went by. We're very proud of her." Kimberley did a good job of putting on a brave face, saying of the competition, "I had a lot of fun in Somerset." Ruby, who had stopped crying at this point, looked almost relieved it was all over. "I took a leap and it's been amazing - something to be proud of." But the last word was reserved for a still dazed-looking Frances, "Right now I just feel on cloud nine." |
| <b>Recipe</b>: Carve out a fun snack with pumpkin seeds Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:09 AM PDT New York City has a zillion charms, but it may not be the ideal place to celebrate Halloween. Here's the problem: Where do you display your jack-o'-lantern if you live in an apartment building with no porch? Then again, my family and I are New Yorkers, and a little defect like this was not going to keep us from carving scary faces into pumpkins. As a kid, I loved this kind of art project even though – or because? – it was so messy. It also was kind of dangerous, given the sharp knives required. Some years my mom would get ambitious and turn the pumpkin seeds into a snack. It was a lot of work. We had to separate the seeds from the fibrous pulp, wash them thoroughly, then dry them on towels before we roasted them. Drying the seeds was a particular ordeal. They tended to stick to the towels, and those that didn't stick to the towels could end up sticking anywhere, floor to ceiling. But the finished product was wonderful: nutty, chewy, salty, seasonal. I missed them! So this year, with Halloween looming, I decided to cast toasted pumpkin seeds as the star of a healthful snack mix. A delight for young or old, it makes a great after-school treat, or an appetizer at a Halloween party. And I've managed to eliminate the sticking-to-the-towel problem. Finding the best way to toast the seeds took several trials. I tried high-heat roasting and low-heat roasting before deciding, following a tip from a Twitter buddy, that sautéing them in a skillet on top of the stove produced the most succulent result. The sticking-to-the-towel thing? Just dry the wet seeds in the oven for 10 minutes before toasting them in the skillet. No towels required. And by the way, pumpkin seeds, like most seeds, are very good for us. They're a great source of magnesium and zinc, as well as omega-3 fatty acids. And then there are the economic and ecological bonuses. The seeds are free, a byproduct of the pumpkin carving. It's not unlike being able to make a chicken stock out of the bones of a roast chicken. Speaking of healthfulness, this recipe pairs the pumpkin seeds with a fellow good-for-you all-star: chickpeas. A staple of soups, stews and salads, chickpeas lately have been popping up as a crispy snack. Who knew they could cross over into potato chip land? And it's easy, too. Just dry them, toss them with a bit of oil (and spices, if you'd like), then bake them in a 400-degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes. I rounded out this snack mix with dried cranberries and nuts. It happens to be cranberry season, but any one of your favorite dried fruits would do, including cherries, apricots and raisins. Nut-wise, I'm partial to pistachios, but go with what you like best. As for the seasoning, extra-virgin olive oil and salt constitute a simple and tasty accent. But depending on the occasion and guests, you could jazz it up, adding curry powder, smoked paprika or dried rosemary. • Read more articles by Sara Moulton |
| <b>Recipe</b>: Could be Red Lobster Biscuits Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:08 AM PDT 12 biscuits 2 cups all-purpose flour ½ teaspoon salt 4 teaspoons baking powder 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar ½ cup shortening or softened butter or margarine 2 / 3 cup cold milk 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter or margarine 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic ¼ cup minced fresh parsley 1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Stir flour, salt, baking powder and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or two knives (or pulse with a food processor), until mixture looks like small peas. 2. Stir in milk with a fork just until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl. Stir in cheese. 3. Place butter and garlic in a 9- by 13-inch pan; place in oven until butter melts and garlic is fragrant, about three minutes. Remove pan from oven and stir in the parsley. 4. Use about ¼ cup dough to form a ball. Roll it in butter mixture to coat and arrange in pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Pat tops down slightly so bottoms are flat. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until just golden. Spoon any remaining butter on top. Serve warm. Linda Cicero, The Miami Herald |
| Adventures of a London Kiwi: Butterbeer <b>Recipe</b> (x2) Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:00 AM PDT The most iconic drink throughout the books and movies has to be Butterbeer. Drunk as refreshment, comfort and during the initial Dumbledore's Army set up session, it's as essential as round glasses, wands and familiars. Butterbeer may be based on Buttered Beer, which was a real drink. The earliest reference to Buttered Beer is from, 'The Good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin' published in London in 1588 A.D., made from beer, sugar, eggs, nutmeg, cloves and butter back in Tudor times. Another old recipe for Buttered Beer, published by Robert May in 1664 A.D., from his recipe book, 'The Accomplisht Cook' calls for liquorish root and aniseeds to be added. (Thank you Harry Potter Wiki). Now, down to the nitty gritty. One could say that having tried it in America at Universal Studios and at the Warner Brother Studios in the UK, that Mr Kiwi and I could almost be considered a connoisseur of the butterbeer beverage variety. Sadly in the muggle world you can only get it by training to Watford or flying to Florida. Any excuse, right? Butterbeer is a popular wizarding beverage with a very slight alcohol content and a taste "a little bit like less-sickly butterscotch." Quite honestly it's sweet and delicious. Quite similar to an unexploded spider or 'soda float' you get the crisp butterscotch soda on the bottom with the creamy slightly vanilla head on top. Delicioso. You can make making this as difficult or as simple as you have time for. Butterbeer - the simply delicious 'recipe' Ingredients Creaming Soda (*if you can't get creaming soda, see the below recipe) Butterscotch Sauce (normally for Ice Cream) Cream Vanilla Icing Sugar Directions
Butterbeer - the more hands on approach Ingredients Butterscotch Sauce (scaled down from FoodPreserving) Vanilla Simple Syrup - 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, 1 vanilla bean Cream Vanilla Icing Sugar Directions
|
| One pinch of 'Quinn-tessential'...Frances' secret <b>recipe</b> for Great <b>...</b> Posted: 22 Oct 2013 11:57 PM PDT
Although baking is her passion, she has held a successful position as a designer with the Joules clothing company for four years. Frances, who is single and has a BA in textile design, has worked for several international fashion and textile companies and says she has a "keen interest for researching themes and trends". Her quirky cakes include plants growing in pots, lemon and lavender butterfly cakes and a remarkably lifelike cigarette cake.
She says she is often asked whether she would choose baking or design, adding: "For me it's never a choice and always a collaboration of the two. "I am constantly thinking creatively, whether designing with food or fabric. It's what drives my ideas and is the ingredient that helps me produce unique, quirky and delicious baking. "Sketching designs and pairing them with a recipe helps to feed both mine and other people's creative appetite before I even reach for a spoon. It's the impact, response and buzz from baking that makes it fun.
"Whether it's thinking up new recipes with a twist or creating one-off commissioned cakes, I love being inventive with food as well as fabric. "My key ingredients are a dollop of randomness, teaspoon of wonder, pinch of eccentricity, drop of serendipity, handful of curiosity, fluid ounce of fun – all mixed together with 'Quinntessential' quirkiness to produce a deliciously different bake." Related articles
|
| Rude Boy Rib Sauce, <b>Recipe</b> to Riches | Belly Rumbles Posted: 22 Oct 2013 11:26 PM PDT Episode 9 of Recipe to Riches Australia already. The series is coming to an end, and I just worked out I am going to have to find something else to pick on each week. Kidding, it's been great fun and I have loved the feedback and comments from everyone. Even people that aren't watching the show are weighing in on the discussions. This week was all about Man Food. I made sure the two resident Man Food experts watched this episode with me. It is quite interesting what they pick up that I don't. Took Mac less than five seconds of watching the batch up this week to point out to me that nobody in the kitchen were wearing hair nets. Interesting observation, as the food is being prepared in a commercial manner. I was also informed by Josh, as I am not a man, I should wait till he got home from college to write my review. And all three of us had a heated discussion on the differences between rissoles and meatballs. The two recipes that received golden tickets but didn't end up winning were Themis and his bolognaise minced meat pie and Christina and her meatballs. Themis didn't make it through batch up. I was quite relieved by this as I had visions of another gristle episode if he was the winner. Bobby's rib sauce ended up beating Christina's meatballs in the end. We were a little confused whether the ribs were to be included or not with the sauce. I suspected not and I was quite happy with this as it meant I got to choose my meat. I really am such a fussy girl. It seems that maybe a few others were a little confused as to if ribs were included or not. On the Recipe to Riches Facebook Page earlier today, they made this statement; 'There is currently a limited supply of pork ribs in Australia. To ensure that as many people as possible have the chance to try Bobby's winning recipe, the decision was made to sell the sauce as a stand alone product. The sauce can be enjoyed with all types of meats – and even veggies (Bobby recommends eggplant) so if you'd like to support Bobby, head to Woolworths to buy his sauce by midnight Saturday.' So here's what I thought of Rude Boy Rib sauce and my experience with the product. Packet Information Please note the above information is for the sauce only, you need to purchase your ribs separately. They suggest you can use the sauce with beef ribs, chicken wings, fish or vegetables. The instructions on the packet aren't very clear for people that haven't cooked ribs before. It gives you a general idea, but does not give you quantities of sauce to go with how many ribs. It does state that one sauce satchel serves 2. Not sure how many ribs that is. The packed instructs me to simmer my ribs in water or stock for 15 minutes. This goes against my normal practice of making ribs. I belong to the anti simmering camp, as I feel it takes flavour away from the ribs. Basically you are making a pork stock. Wouldn't you rather that flavour in your meat? To confirm my thoughts on this I checked in with two chefs that know a thing or two about pork and ribs, Darren Templeman and Phil Whitmarsh. They both confirm, no simmering and a slow long bake in the oven to achieve tender mouthwatering ribs.
As I am reviewing this product, I do as I am told. After boiling the ribs they are placed in a single layer in a baking pan and covered ribs with sauce. You then cover your ribs with aluminium foil and bake in a 150 degree C oven for two hours. I initially use two satchels (three in a box) of sauce for 1.1kg of ribs. 40 minutes into the cooking time I turn my ribs and spoon some of the sauce on to the backs of the ribs. This is when I realise in my haste to get my ribs cooking, that I had neglected to remove the membrane from the backs of the ribs. No instructions on the packet to do so and I just plum forgot this critical part of preparation. Was too late to do anything about it at this stage. At this point I also really wanted to add 1/2c of water to the baking pan to stop the sauce drying out and eventually burning.. Ribs were turned again at the one hour mark, they looked a little dry and in the need of some more sauce. I opened the third satchel of sauce and spread it over the tops of the ribs.
With half an hour to go, I can't help myself. I add 1 cup of water to the baking pan. The sauce was starting to burn and needs some added liquid to keep the ribs nice and moist. Basted the ribs in the now rehydrated sauce and continued cooking for 15 minutes. I then check the ribs again and I'm glad I added the water, as the ribs looked a little moister and there was now sauce to baste with. I gave them one last baste and cooked covered for another 15 minutes. To finish off remove the aluminium foil and cook for another 15 minutes in the oven or finish them off on the BBQ. As it is blowing a gale outside, I finish mine off in the oven. The problem with simmering the ribs for 15 minutes, is that you don't get any cooking juices when you are baking them. They are taken out of the ribs in the simmer process. I suggest you don't boil/simmer your ribs. This is my personal preference and I am sure others with disagree with me. Great demonstration by Chef David Payne on prepping your ribs for cooking. This shows you how to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. How I suggest cooking your ribs using this sauce; What did I think of the taste? Not too shabby. I would buy it again to have in the pantry as a prepared sauce ready to go. My ribs turned out quite tender (still kicking myself over the membrane), the sauce has a nice kick of chilli in it, my lips were tingling. My fingers got a good licking, so I must of enjoyed the sauce. It was also the first Recipe to Riches winner that Sally could be bothered getting up from lazing in the sun to have a taste. So it gets the dog's seal of approval too. If you don't want to use the sauce on ribs, it would go well with the alternatives suggested. I also think that it would make a nice baste for large prawns on the BBQ. Congratulations Bobby for being this weeks' winner and I wish you all the best with the rest of the competition. Not a bad sauce you have there. Do tell dear Belly Rumbles' reader, what did you think of the three recipes last night, who do you think should of won? What did you think of Bobby's Rude Boy Rib Sauce? Sara xxxBelly Rumbles is in no way connected to Recipe to Riches, Woolworths or any of the contestants Episode 1: Concetta's Croqs Episode 2: Sara Jade's Chilli Con Carne Episode 3: Hickory Hollow Smoked Sauce Episode 4: Manju's Authentic Vegetable Samosas Episode 5: Sweet Billie's Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Episode 6: Chocorn Episode 7: Golden Greek Pizza Base Kit Episode 8: Rosie's Kitchen Almond & Meringue Biscuits |
| You are subscribed to email updates from Google Alert - recipe To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery powered by Google |
| Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610 | |



















{ 0 Comment... Views All / Send Comment! }
Posting Komentar