Oct 13 - New 'Google Alert - recipe' feed email from feed2email.net

Bookmark and Share
Hi there!
Here's the latest feed from Google Alert - recipe.

Add feeds@feed2email.net to your contact list to make sure you receive all your emails
Make sure to visit feed2email.net to get more feeds sent to your inbox.
To find out which feeds you are subscribed to, or to get further help, just reply to this email.


Homemade Almond Butter Recipe | Budget Savvy Diva

Oct 13, 8:27PM

Share

Homemade Almond Butter Recipe

Homemade Almond Butter Recipe

There is nothing like homemade almond butter – if you try and buy it in store it is priced insanely high.

Little do most people know it is SUPER SIMPLE to make – all you need is a blender or food processor.

One way I suggest cutting the costs of the almonds is buying the almonds in the bulk section you will need about 1.5 cups for this recipe

When I make this recipe for my dad I simply put the almond butter in a clean mason jar and it is good for well over a week ( it never lasts that long through ;) )

Almond butter is a nice change from the normal peanut butter — it tastes much like peanut butter but with an almond flair

I have a homemade peanut butter recipe – check it out HERE

Both recipes are gluten – free :)

Homemade Almond Butter Recipe

You are going to need almonds and a little salt. If you are having problems making the butter you can add a little oil

How this process works is that you are processing the almonds to the point where their natural oils are released which makes the "butter"

Here is a finished closeup of the product

Homemade Almond Butter Recipe

The butter will not be super smooth but still extremely tasty

If you do make any of my recipes I would love to see pictures — simply snap a shot and put it on instagram or twitter use #budgetsavvydiva so I can check it out :)

Homemade Almond Butter Recipe

  • 1.5 Cups of Raw Almonds
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Oil ( if needed)
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Place almonds on a lined cookie sheet and baked for 2- 3 minutes
  3. Place almonds into the food processor ( only use blender if you do not have a food processor)
  4. Process for about 10 minutes — it takes a while.
  5. If it is a little dry add a little oil
  6. Enjoy
  7. It makes about ¾th cup

3.2.2124

Other recipes you'll love:




HealthFirst class serves up healthy nutrition

Oct 13, 8:26PM

"We're making minestrone soup today," said HealthFirst nutritional assistant Lori Andrade as she stirred the fragrant soup and sent steam rising from the shiny stainless pot.
The minestrone recipe called for ground turkey instead of hamburger, low sodium bouillon cubes, onion, beans, and loads of vegetables.
Andrade offered the recipe and cooking class in the kitchen at HealthFirst Family Care Center for people in the WIC nutrition program. Held the first Wednesday of every month at 3 p.m., the class "Cooking with Tammy and Lori" offers a new recipe, budget friendly ways to use WIC foods, and a free gift. No registration is necessary.
Andrade also offered lots of helpful cooking tips and hints to those new to the kitchen.
"If you use the (bouillon) cubes, get the low sodium. You'll save money and get less salt," Andrade instructed the classroom. "These spices," she said showing off a few colorful bottles. "They're from the dollar store."
Andrade said if canned beans are used, "make sure you rinse them." As for vegetables, any will do.
"It's a good way to use up what's in your refrigerator," Andrade said.
Or your freezer.
"Frozen is less expensive," Andrade said.
Tammy Reis, WIC program assistant, said the classes are a "way to help our families use WIC foods."
WIC, for Women, Infants and Children, provides checks to those who qualify to obtain free, healthy food, as well as nutrition counseling, referrals for medical care, housing, fuel assistance, and more.
Samantha Ray and her 8-month old son Eli Pelletier participated in the cooking class.
"My son is starting to eat solid food," Ray said.
Kristen Rodrigues, pregnant with her first child, said she had lots of good recipes from her mother who was a chef in France, but not one for minestrone soup.
"I'm learning more recipes," Rodrigues said. "I'm on my own now."
Loretta Branco stopped by to learn about the cooking class after she visited with her doctor at HealthFirst.
"My grandson wants me to make minestrone soup," Branco said. "I didn't have a recipe."
"Cooking with Tammy and Lori" started in the spring. HealthFirst began offering the class to utilize the kitchen/classroom in its new building at 387 Quarry St.
Some of the recipes they've made include easy chicken and broccoli stir fry, black bean queso and mango smoothies, chick pea salad, strawberry salad and cinnamon tortillas, and easy turkey chili.
Each recipe, found in cookboooks and online, is tweaked so that it is healthy and affordable, and makes use of foods available by WIC.
"Every month, we do something different," Andrade said. "Next month, it's American chop suey."
To learn more about HealthFirst, its cooking class or other programs, call 508-679-9376 or visit www.healthfirstfr.org. To contact WIC at HealthFirst, call 508-679-9349 Ext. 222
Email Deborah Allard at dallard@heraldnews.com
 
Minestrone soup
1 lb. ground turkey
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
28-ounce can diced tomato
15-16 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
15-16 ounce can northern or cannellini beans, rinsed
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
8 2-ounce low sodim beef bouillon cubes
8 cups water
1 heaping tsp. Italian seasoning
1 heaping tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. basil
Goya Adobo seasoning and pepper to taste
Optional: 1 cup or so chopped cabbage or fresh/ frozen spinach.
Saute ground turkey, onion and garlic until turkey is cooked through. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer covered until vegetables are cooked, about 20 to 30 minutes. Serve hot. Top each bowl of soup with parmesan cheese if desired.




Classic Pumpkin Roll with Orange Cream Cheese Filling

Oct 13, 8:19PM


It has been almost five years, since I began my humble little food blog. This coming Thanksgiving weekend will mark the official five year anniversary of "A Feast for the Eyes".  Being a food blogger can be a very time-consuming hobby/business. If you've read my "About me" page, I share who first inspired me, and why  I  wanted my own food blog, .  For the first year, I became obsessed with writing posts. I spent countless hours scouring cookbooks, watching Food Network and reading dozens of other food blogs-- on a daily basis.

Then the unspeakable happened to me, a few weeks ago. I found myself uninterested in my food blog. What???!!  Yes, folks, I lost my mojo.   I realized that I needed to devote what little free time I had to my marriage, and health, first. I began to feel as though I was a failure as a food blogger. I actually pondered quitting this blog. Yes, it's true.

Fortunately, my mojo is slowly coming back. I think that my June "Total Knee Replacement" threw me completely off.  For three months, standing for more than a few minutes was uncomfortable. Instead, I got hooked on Netflix TV series marathons, like "Breaking Bad" and "Scandal". The good news is, I'm back in the kitchen. I've regained my physical strength and most of my knee mobility again. There is no more pain, thank goodness.  All I need, now, is to find a better balance between my job, physical therapy, marriage and girlfriends that still allows me enough time to write blog posts.  Most likely, that means that my recipe posts will be fewer and father in between. That means less blog income, and most likely, less sponsors for giveaways. But, we make our own choices and I think I've made the best decision for my family and health.

This pumpkin roll is something that I baked last year. The reason I waited a year to post this has two good reasons-- #1 - I was not happy with the finished photo.  This happens when it's Thanksgiving and there's family and friends around. I can't set up my photography lights, and find room to better set up a shot, when the counters are filled with dishes and leftovers. It doesn't help that I forgot to set my white balance, and the pumpkin roll photo was very yellow... it took a lot of photo editing to try and fix the shot. Not perfect, but it will do.  #2 - I completely forgot about this recipe, until I was organizing my hundreds of food photos, last week.

Back to my journey as a food blogger: I finally took the bold leap of upgrading my camera from a point-and-shoot to a fancier (and much more expensive) camera that had all kinds of dials and settings to learn. I have a mental list of my earlier photos that desperately need to be redone. Someday.  I found myself longing to be a better photographer, and buying food props and I'd feel that my own work never quite measured up to the Big Time Food Bloggers.

I've attended a few Food Blogger conventions, and taken classes in food styling, photo editing software, writing, social media-- and I've had the opportunity to meet celebrity chefs. It's been a lot of fun, but...  

... I've had to rethink what my goal is with this humble little blog of mine.  I realized that I was focusing too much time trying to build my audience, and would gauge my success by how many comments I had.  I began to feel guilty for not blogging several times a week, and that I would lose traffic because of it. I know food bloggers who make their living doing what is only a creative outlet for me. There's a lot of money to be made, as a food blogger, but it's a full-time job and a lot of hard work.

I think I've refocused my goal with my blog. I want to cook and bake what appeals to me. I like to challenge myself to try techniques I've never done before. One of these days I'm going to bake macarons. Pinkie promise.  This pumpkin roll was the first time I've ever baked a cake and rolled it. Yes, like a jelly roll. Or a Roulade, if you want to sound fancier.  I couldn't believe how easy it was to make this cake! Until...

...I realized that I did not put enough powdered sugar on the towel, and the cake stuck and broke. However, frosting is like wall spackle. Frosting can hide a lot of flaws, and the evidence is delicious. In this case, I added orange zest and a little pure orange oil.  I love the combination of pumpkin and orange. Come to think of it, pumpkin and chocolate pair well. Pumpkin and ginger does well, too. Of course, I love pumpkin sweet or savory anyway.  Which is why it was easy for me to recommit to baking and cooking what I like. It's my blog, right?
So, here's how I repaired a cooled and broken pumpkin cake, slathered it with orange cream cheese frosting. The baker's reward for slicing off the uneven edge is that it becomes your private tasting. I love this classic recipe.  So delicious, and this will become my annual Fall dessert. Love.
If you've managed to read all of my post, or just scrolled through the pictures, what I'm trying to say are two things. #1 - if you love pumpkin, and have never made this classic recipe, do it! It's one of the simplest cakes I've ever made, and it looks so pretty and festive. #2 - I don't plan to give up my food blog anytime soon.
Yes, I do make a modest amount of "pocket money" by having ads on my blog . I make a few dollars when people shop through my Amazon store.  I use this "allowance" to help offset the cost of ingredients, food props and to buy cooking and baking tools.  I can't quit my day job, though.  I'm not willing to give up paid vacations, holidays and my pension. 

I still want to work to improve my photography and I still plan to challenge myself to learn new cooking and baking techniques. I appreciate any comments that are left-- be it one or twenty.  I need to get back to the heart of why I have this blog. It's not the traffic count, comments or monthly check.

This blog is for me-- to have fun with it. This blog is my creative outlet and as long as I am enjoying this, then it's this is the big payoff for me.  This blog is also for you-- I hope to inspire someone to try a recipe or technique that is new to them.

Of course, it works two ways. Those of you who have food blogs, I appreciate your support and love reading your recipes. Those of you who aren't food bloggers, but are thinking about it, do it!  Just have fun with it, okay?

I'm on vacation all of this coming week.  I hope to use my Staycation to get back into the kitchen, with my camera, and share some new recipes with you.  That is something I can get excited about!

A printable recipe card is at the end of this post. I always post a printable recipe card at the end of each recipe post. If you cannot view it, you might be using an older version of InternetExplorer. You should be able to view my recipe cards with Safari, Mozilla, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.
If you still can't view the recipe card, all of my recipes are stored on Key Ingredient, by clicking here.


Happy Fall!

 



Your Adventurous Chocolate Recipe Could Win $25000 or iPads ...

Oct 13, 7:13PM

Tutti Foodie is giving you another chance to win big prizes for your adventurous chocolate recipes. Enter create a show stopping recipe for a bar cookie using Scharffen Berger chocolate and an adventure ingredient of your choice, and you could win $25,000 and other prizes in Tutti Foodie's Chocolate Adventure Contest 2013.

To enter, submit a recipe for a bar cookie that uses Scharffen Berger bars, chunks, or cocoa plus at least one adventure ingredient from a list that includes hibiscus, pandan leaf, bourbon, sweet potato, and many other unusual ingredients.

The grand prize includes $25,000 cash, cookbooks, and an appearance on the TuttiFoodie and on ScharffenBerger websites. Ten additional winners will also receive an engraved iPad computer.

Entry into Tutti Foodie's Chocolate Adventure Contest 2012 is open to US residents above the age of 18. Enter up to ten times before January 2, 2014.

More Sweepstakes Like This:


Stay up to date with Contests & Sweepstakes by signing up for my Sweepstakes Newsletter.
Get answers to your sweepstakes questions in the Sweepstakes Forum.
Download the free Sweepstakes Toolbar



Overseas test their rock recipe at the Doug Fir Lounge

Oct 13, 7:05PM

Overseas aren't the kind of band that usually gets an extended shelf-life. Its four members each have lengthy, active resumes: David Bazan has recorded as Pedro the Lion, the influential emo act; Headphones; and under his own name; Will Johnson fronts craggy Texas rockers Centro-matic (and South San Gabriel, the band's quieter incarnation); and guitarists Bubba and Matt Kadane have been the core of Bedhead and the New Year. But at the Doug Fir Lounge on Saturday night, every sign pointed toward a new group with more to say. "We started working on the second album before we were done with the first," Johnson revealed, and Bazan confirmed the obvious: "We like writing songs with each other."

David Bazan of OverseasDavid Bazan of Overseas at the Doug Fir Lounge, Oct. 12, 2013. 
And what songs. Playing material from this year's self-titled debut and the sophomore album to come, the group's collective histories made for a potent fusion. Bazan and Johnson alternated between bass, guitar, drums and lead vocals, with Johnson attacking the kit like a person who'd been waiting his whole life to get behind it. His playing was a shot of energy on a night characterized by weariness: the Kadanes' patient guitar playing is their signature, but Bazan's voice has become deeper and more ragged, closer to Johnson's barrel-aged bite. Many of the songs were little more than instrumental sections and a verse or two, though they didn't feel unfinished -- just ready to stop. Overseas are playing just five shows on their current West Coast tour before dispersing and seemed grateful to have a full house for their road-testing, punctuating the stoic songs with jokey banter.
Radar Brothers at the Doug Fir LoungeThe Radar Brothers at the Doug Fir Lounge, Oct. 12, 2013. 
They stood in fascinating contrast to openers the Radar Brothers, whose latest album, "Eight," is another study in psych-pop songwriting craftsmanship. The band's songs can't go three minutes without hitting a couple choruses and a bridge -- a good problem to have. Still, their devotion to structure made the songs at times predictable, less willing to engage in the full-throated feelings of Overseas; they were at their best when the music had the most moving parts, building from soft verses to energetic choruses. Chris Brokaw, the New Year's drummer and another man with an impressive CV, rounded out the bill, playing a set of solo guitar rock marked by strong fingerpicking and the song "Into the Woods," a track that conjured horror-movie dread with the thud of its uneven bass lines and paranoid lyrical repetition.

-- David Greenwald




Gladstone vegan blogger shares recipes while working on book

Oct 13, 7:04PM

Topics:  gladstone, health, nutrition, vegan, vegetarian

Gladstone nutritionist Jacqueline Smith.Gladstone nutritionist Jacqueline Smith. Contributed

GLADSTONE vegan Jacqui Smith - known by over 400 "likers" on Jacs Blue House Facebook page as Jacs - says we shouldn't base our happiness on a number on a scale.

"I believe we need a shift in focus and that shift needs to be on how we feel - mentally, physically, emotionally - and food is a big part of that," Jacqui said.

And when it comes to fad diets or quick fixes, Jacqui recommends steering clear.

"They all work for the short term, if you stick to them, but ... they send your body the message that it is starving, therefore slowing down your metabolism and retaining everything you eat," she said.

Gladstone nutritionist Jacqueline Smith enjoys a green juice made with parsley, kale, silverbeet and celery Photo ContributedGladstone nutritionist Jacqueline Smith enjoys a green juice made with parsley, kale, silverbeet and celery Photo Contributed Contributed

"Put real, plant-based foods into your body and you will feel nourished and ready to take on the world with vitality, enthusiasm and passion."

Jacs Blue House is a Facebook page and website where Jacqui shares nutritious recipes, some of them allergy-free.

"I love getting feedback from people on what they liked, didn't like or, even better, when they adjust a recipe to their taste and add or change different things."

Jacqui's page has operated for about a year, but her ultimate goal would be to release a recipe book.

"(A friend) suggested starting a blog with my recipes; that way, people could access them until the book is developed," she said.

She has been a vegan for the past 12 months and a vegetarian for seven years.

"It is important to keep in mind that just because a diet is labelled vegan or vegetarian... does not mean it is healthy," she said.

"If you are thinking of changing your diet, it is important to do your research and be informed.

"Get in contact with the relevant health professional - a nutritionist or dietician would be best," she said.

Organic food still in reach at the region

WHEN it comes to purchasing natural, organic foods, Jacqui said it can be difficult in a regional town.

Gladstone nutritionist Jacqueline Smith says a vegetarian or vegan diet, like any other must be well planned in order to prevent certain diseases and maintain good health and wellbeing. Photo ContributedGladstone nutritionist Jacqueline Smith says a vegetarian or vegan diet, like any other must be well planned in order to prevent certain diseases and maintain good health and wellbeing. Photo Contributed Contributed

 "It is supply and demand - if people choose more organic products when shopping, the shops will supply more and the price will also come down."

The Health Nut owner Katrina Bailey said it stocks a large range of organic products.

She said the most common organic foods at the moment was anything coconut.

"Popularity is building for these products, but there is still room for growth. People are becoming more aware of how things are grown and what is being sprayed on them."

Visit the Health Nut's Facebook page for stock and recipe ideas.

Gladstone nutritionist Jacqueline Smith says a vegetarian or vegan diet, like any other must be well planned in order to prevent certain diseases and maintain good health and wellbeing. Photo ContributedGladstone nutritionist Jacqueline Smith says a vegetarian or vegan diet, like any other must be well planned in order to prevent certain diseases and maintain good health and wellbeing. Photo Contributed Contributed






If at any time you'd like to stop receiving these messages, just send an email to fulltextrssfeed_com_www_google_com_alerts_feeds_08265159762519898652_9204458329824401318+unsubscribe-ballom.master=gmail.com@mail.feed2email.net.
To stop all future emails from feed2email.net you can reply to this email with STOP in the subject line. Thanks

{ 0 Comment... Views All / Send Comment! }

Posting Komentar