Here's the latest feed from Google Alert - recipe.
Add feeds@feed2email.net to your contact list to make sure you receive all your emails
Make sure to visit feed2email.net to get more feeds sent to your inbox.
To find out which feeds you are subscribed to, or to get further help, just reply to this email.
Hearty & Delicious Oatmeal Pancakes Recipe Is Out of This World
Oct 19, 9:04PM

Confession: I'm not a huge pancake person. They're ok, I guess, but you'll never see me go out of my way to consume them. They're just so ... blah. In my book at least.
Not so with these amazing wholegrain oatmeal pancakes! I was on a health kick a couple of years ago, and came across this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs, Smitten Kitchen. I had no idea how they would turn out, but in the end I'm a convert.
They're hearty and only slightly sweet, and the unusual addition of cooked oatmeal to the batter gives the finished cakes a lovely texture that you can sink your teeth into while they melt in your mouth.
Oatmeal Pancakes via Smitten Kitchen
Makes about 18 pancakes
- 3/4 cup oat flour (you can make this by pulsing rolled oats into a food processor or spice grinder until finely ground; 1 cup of oats yield about 3/4 cup oat flour)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher or coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (plus extra for the pan)
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon molasses or honey
- 2 large eggs
Whisk the dry ingredients (oat flour, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk the butter, milk, cooked oatmeal, honey and eggs together until thoroughly combined. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Using a light hand is important for tender pancakes; the batter should be slightly thick with a holey surface.
Heat a 10-inch cast-iron pan or griddle over medium heat until water sizzles when splashed onto the pan. Lower to medium-low. Rub the pan generously with butter. Working quickly, dollop 1/4-cup mounds of batter onto the pan, 2 or 3 at a time. Once bubbles have begun to form on the top side of the pancake, flip the pancake and cook until the bottom is dark golden-brown, about 5 minutes total. Wipe the pan with a cloth before griddling the next pancake. Continue with the rest of the batter.
Serve the pancakes hot, straight from the skillet or keep them warm in a low oven. We also found these to reheat surprisingly well the next morning, again in a low oven.
Serve with your favorite pancake toppings and enjoy!
Image via Ocean/Corbis
WF2 Recipe: Elvis Burger | theclothesmakethegirl
Oct 19, 6:48PM
Fasten your seatbelts, because I'm about to tell you a story that will eventually weave together Thanksgiving; Elvis; a restaurant in Venice, California; Sunbutter; and indoor grilling.
Ready? Let's begin.
Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday since I was old enough to start naming things as favorites. According to family lore, I once protested that we couldn't start Thanksgiving dinner because, "They're not here yet." When my mom asked me who wasn't here yet, I said, in all seriousness, "The pilgrims."
I was three years old.
Aside from the food, which I adore — I am an expert at making a "perfect bite" of turkey, stuffing, gravy, cornbread, and cranberries — I love the relaxed vibe. There are no presents, no overwhelming decorations, and except for the "Five Fat Turkeys" song, no official carols. It's just good food with people you love. Perfect.
Over the years, Dave and I have sometimes spent Thanksgiving with my family, sometimes crashed other peoples' families, hosted friends at our house, and once, in 2002, we reveled in the fact that we're adults and can do whatever we want, and we made Elvis Sandwiches for Thanksgiving dinner.
In case you're not familiar with the wonder that is the Elvis, allow me to enlighten you. It's a grilled peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich with an optional drizzle of honey. We committed to that thing like Elvis zipping up his spangle suit: squishy white bread, Peter Pan peanut butter, thick bacon, plenty of honey, and tons of butter in the pan for frying. It was glorious — and a once-in-a-lifetime event.
Fast-forward to 2011. We ate a life-changing peanut-butter-and-jelly burger at the 26 Beach restaurant in Venice, California, and when we got home, I invented the SB&J Burger — made with Sunbutter and strawberries sautéed with ginger. Last year, when I started testing recipes for Well Fed 2, I revisited the SB&J Burger, and in a blinding flash of inspiration (and dare I say "rock-n-roll genius"), I realized I could combine the SB&J with the Elvis.
As my sweet friend Summer has been known to say, "Awesome kicked me in the face."
Elvis Burger
Serves 2-4 | Prep 10 min | Cook 10 min
The Elvis Burger is one of the "You Know How You Could Do That?" variations included in the SB&J Burger recipe in Well Fed 2.
Ingredients:
4 slices sugar-free bacon
2 medium bananas, peeled and diced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pound ground beef
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup sunflower seed or almond butter (no sugar added)
Directions:
1. Preheat a gas grill with all burners on high, lid closed, 10-15 minutes.
2. Mix the ground beef with salt and pepper and shape into four patties. Gently press down the center of each patty until it's about 1/2-inch thick to make a slight depression; this will prevent them from turning bulbous when you cook them. Grill patties, uncovered and without pressing down on them, until they're seared on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip the burgers and continue grilling to desired temperature: 3 minutes for rare, 4 minutes for medium, and 5 minutes for well-done.
3. While the burgers are cooking, cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Place in a cold, nonstick skillet, then turn heat to medium-high and cook until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon to a paper towel to drain. Pour all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat out of the pan. Add the bananas and ginger to the pan and sauté until soft and lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Place the sunflower butter in a microwave-safe dish (or saucepan) and heat until thinned, about 40 seconds in the microwave.
5. When the burgers are good to go, top each with 1 tablespoon of melted sunflower butter and a few tablespoons of the bananas, then sprinkle with bacon. Feel free to sing your favorite Elvis tune while you chow down. I like this one because this burger is a hunka hunka burnin' yum.
Note: You can also pan-fry or bake the burgers. On the stovetop, cook in a nonstick skillet, 5 minutes, then flip and continue to cook: 3 minutes for rare, 4 minutes for medium, 5 minutes for well-done. In the oven, bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.
![]()
Download the SB&J Burger Recipe from Well Fed 2

Indoor Grilling w/ T-fal OptiGrill
I live in Austin, Texas, which means we can grill pretty much all year long. But I've heard from readers who remind me that in the depths of January and February, they can't really use their grills. That's why I'm excited to tell you about the indoor grill I tested when I made my most recent batch of Elvis Burgers.
I'm madly in love with my big ol' outdoor gas grill, but I now have a serious crush on this little T-fal. Making the burgers was this simple: I took it out of the box, plugged it in, touched the "on" button and the button with the little picture of a burger on it, then waited 5 minutes for it to heat up. It chimed to let me know it was ready, then I placed the burgers on the nonstick plates and closed the lid. About 3 minutes later — no kidding! — it chimed to let me know the burgers had reached "rare"… I let it keep cooking and about 2 minutes later, it chimed again to let me know the burgers were done.
I didn't have to go outside.
I didn't have to flip the burgers.
I didn't have to set a timer.
It was pretty freakin' awesome.
And after we ate our Elvis Burgers like animals — ANIMALS! — clean up was a snap. The drawer that catches the grease and the nonstick plates are dishwasher safe. Taking it apart and putting it back together was as simple as pressing a button.
There's also another pretty cool feature that I didn't try this time, but will definitely give a go next: You can put FROZEN meat in the grill, and by pressing the cute little snowflake button to let it know you forgot to plan ahead, the grill will defrost and cook the meat. With the touch of a button. WE LIVE IN THE FUTURE!
I was skeptical about the whole thing. You know how I feel about adding extra kitchen gadgets to my counter top! But I have to admit, I think this little guy deserves some kitchen real estate.
Learn more about the T-fal OptiGrill,
![]()
The fine print: I received a complimentary T-fal Optigrill to try, with no obligation to tell you about it. If I didn't think it was really awesome, I wouldn't have mentioned it at all.
Tags: beef, dino-chow, paleo, sunbutter, well fed 2
Post a comment
Like what you've read? Got something to say? Lay it on me!
Recipes from the khansamas
Oct 19, 6:33PM
At the launch of the book, Jewels of Nizam — Recipes from Khansamas of Hyderabad which was inaugurated on Saturday afternoon at The Golkonda Hotel, author Geeta Devi speaks about closely-guarded recipes that made Hyderabadi cuisine renowned across continents. "The khansamas used the finest ingredients available, and competed with each other to push the boundaries of cooking to new highs. Inventions were made on a regular basis and the Nizam lauded the chefs with gold coins and souvenirs if he liked the dish. All the recipes were closely guarded secrets which were only orally passed on from generation-to-generation. In those days, when marriages of poor families took place, sometimes the food would be sent out from the royal kitchens and every one would crave a bite," says Geeta Devi.
According to her, the Nizams were extremely fond of wine and kebabs. "Wines were made from mogra, gulab, seasonal grapes and even sauf. There is a delicacy called the muzgi kebab, which is no longer made. The recipe calls for a full-goat cleaned and then its stomach is stuffed with its own contents (liver, intestines, etc.,) and grilled on charcoal to perfection, using selected masalas," she says. The masalas were used judiciously and would never overpower a recipe.
Geeta Devi also has an interesting tale to share from the Nawab's armies. "The Nawabs were particular about their soldiers being well-fed. Just like them, even the khana that was made for the army had to be different. So, the chefs would make different delicacies everyday. Haleem was made from the hansi gehun (finest quality of wheat) and patthar ka ghosht was a regular on the menu," she says. Talking about vegetarian fare, she says that the anokhi kheer and kathal ki biryani were a favourite. "Anokhi kheer is made using grated onions and condensed milk. Although a weird combination, it tastes delicious."
The book features an amalgamation of 80-odd starters, main course and desserts. N Suresh Reddy, MD Golkonda Hotel, is a passionate Hyderabadi culinary enthusiast and the inspiration behind the cook book.
Nizami Tarkari Hundi
Ingredients
200 gm carrots
200 gm french Beans
200 gm potatoes
200 gm cashew nut paste
200 gm boiled spinach paste
100 gm tomato paste
100 gm brown onion paste
15 gm cumin seeds
5 gm kasuri methi powder
10 gm roasted cumin powder
3 gm freshly ground pepper
2-3 chopped green chillies
20 gm chopped garlic
20 gm chopped ginger
Salt, to taste
25 ml oil
25 ml ghee
20 gm chopped coriander
30 gm chopped bell peppers
Method
1. Cut the vegetables into cubes and blanch them individually and refresh them in running water.
2. Heat oil and ghee in a kadai and crackle cumin seeds, saute chopped garlic and ginger. Add the brown onion paste, tomato paste, cashew nut paste, cooking cream and cook them till they leave the sides of the kadai.
3. Add the boiled vegetables and cook them till the masala coats the vegetables. Add the boiled spinach paste and stir the vegetables so that they are uniformly mixed.
4. Check for seasoning, add garam masala, crushed black pepper, cumin powder and stir the spices into the dish. Garnish the dish with freshly chopped coriander leaves, with finely diced bell pepper and serve it hot with rotis.
Wacky anecdotes associated with biryani, easy-peasy recipes, the first time you cooked something for your loved one, recipes from your grandmother's book, one-pot cooking (read: bachelors quick-fix) or experiments gone wrong in the kitchen. We'd like to hear them all. Share it with us on myhyderabad andme@gmail.com with 'food' in the subject line.
From Captain's Daughter to Army Mom: Oui,Sugar! Royal Icing Recipe
Oct 19, 5:51PM
Today I want to share with you something I am
asked about all the time... My Royal Icing recipe!
If you've ever tried to work with royal icing you may know that it can be a bit
fussy. And, you may also know that following some of the recipes out there
can lead to plenty of frustration and lots and lots of wasted ingredients...
So let's talk about how to achieve royal icing worthy of our cookies!
First of all, do not depend on a box or bag of powdered sugar to actually
be a pound (or two pounds) of sugar. I've found a two pound bag of sugar
can weigh almost a quarter pound more! Also, sifting powdered sugar is
not optional. To achieve smooth royal icing, sifting is absolutely essential!
My recipe does not depend on pound measurements at all... To
create perfect royal icing, I measure my powdered sugar in cups!
In my opinion, whether you use meringue powder or egg whites, royal icing
leaves a lot to be desired in terms of taste. Personally, I believe the culprit
to be the sugar. I used to add extracts to flavor my royal icing; however, I've
found that fresh lemon juice is the only way to achieve a truly delicious icing!
If you have your heart set on a vanilla or almond flavored royal icing you can still
add those extracts (as long as they are clear/colorless) but do yourself a favor and
keep the lemon juice! It adds a little zip and a clean-tasting finish to royal icing!
Make sure you use a press with strainer to ensure
no seeds or bits of pulp escape into your icing!
For my recipe, I use 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and 9 tablespoons
of warm/hot water and I never convert the tablespoons into cups!
I confess to being raw-egg phobic when it comes to using them in recipes that
require no cooking... Therefore, I rely on meringue powder for my royal icing!
Measure out seven tables spoons of meringue powder into
eight cups of sifted powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer...
Whisk the powdered sugar and meringue powder to incorporate and then
add 9 tablespoons of warm/hot water and 3 tablespoons of fresh-squeed
lemon juice. I use warm/hot water because I believe it helps to dissolve the
sugar better, for a creamier/smoother result. I also recommend you mix your
icing on medium speed and only until it comes together and begins to shine...
Those other recipes that instruct to mix on high speed for 10-12 minutes only
produce dry, brittle and broken royal icing. Trust me... 4-5 minutes is all you need!
After it is mixed, I immediately transfer my icing to quart-size
containers. These containers make it easier to keep my icing
air-tight because air is the enemy of royal icing before it's used!
My recipe yields 1.25 quarts of icing, which is plenty to ice two dozen
5-inch cookies. Remember this... It is always better to have too much
icing than too little. I find that when I'm worried about whether or
not I have enough icing, my decorating becomes less creative. When
there's plenty of icing to experiment with more colors/designs... I do!
After loading my icing into containers, I tap the bottom of them on the
counter to remove air pockets and settle the icing. Then, I press plastic
wrap directly onto the surface of the icing and seal it all up with a lid!
How you store your royal icing is just as important as the recipe you
use. I also do my best not to tint more icing than I need because after
it is tinted, royal icing is almost impossible to keep for more than a
few hours. To store not-tinted icing overnight, I first make sure it is
completely covered with plastic wrap, the lid is on tight and then I
turn the container up-side-down and place it into the refrigerator!
Refrigerated royal icing will keep up to two days. I don't find it
necessary to let my icing come to room temperature before using
it but I always give it a few stirs with a spoon to ensure there's no
separation of the sugar and liquid... And, to get it moving again!
Remember too that temperature and humidity play a big
part in how royal icing behaves. I find that as long as I am
comfortable playing in my kitchen my royal icing will be too!
Before I publish my royal icing recipe for
you I want to leave you with this tip...
Literally!
Seriously though... When I need only a tiny bit of icing to
complete a cookie, I avoid messing up a clean bottle or
using another decorating bag by loading just the tip!
And, go to work to...
Finish my cookie! After I'm finished, all I have to clean is
the tip and bottle coupler. If a little icing gets on the rim of
the bottle, I just wipe it clean with a damp paper towel!
If you would like to give my royal icing a try to achieve
decorating results like the ones I'm about to share with you...
Grab a pen and write this down!
Measure 8 Cups of sifted Powdered Sugar
into the bowl of your stand mixer...
Add to the sugar, 7 Tablespoons Meringue Powder
I use Wilton's and find it at Michael's Craft Store
Whisk the sugar and meringue powder gently to incorporate...
Add 9 Tablespoons of warm/hot water to this mixture...
Add 3 Tablespoons of fresh-squeezed Lemon Juice...
And, mix on medium speed, using the paddle attachment for your mixer...
Mix 4-5 minutes or just until your icing comes together and begins to shine!
You're looking for a pearly, glossy shine and...
The consistency of smooth peanut butter or toothpaste!
Transfer your icing to quart-sized containers
If you don't have them, a bowl is fine
Cover by pressing plastic wrap directly onto the surface of your icing...
Seal with a lid...
Or another piece of plastic wrap if covering a bowl
Until ready for use!
Remember, if you have questions I'm here for you!
If at any time you'd like to stop receiving these messages, just send an email to fulltextrssfeed_com_www_google_com_alerts_feeds_08265159762519898652_9204458329824401318+unsubscribe-ballom.master=gmail.com@mail.feed2email.net.
To stop all future emails from feed2email.net you can reply to this email with STOP in the subject line. Thanks

































{ 0 Comment... Views All / Send Comment! }
Posting Komentar