Here's the latest feed from Google Alert - recipe.
Add feeds@feed2email.net to your contact list to make sure you receive all your emails
Make sure to visit feed2email.net to get more feeds sent to your inbox.
To find out which feeds you are subscribed to, or to get further help, just reply to this email.
Simple crab salad recipe
Dec 29, 12:45AM
Simple Crab Salad
Serves: 4 (about 1/3 cup each)
Source: Hy-Vee Test Kitchen │prep time: 5 minutes
ALL YOU NEED:
- 12 ounces lump crab meat (about 1-½ cups)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- (optional) Romaine lettuce
- (optional) Guacamole
ALL YOU DO:
- In a small bowl, combine crab, green onion, parsley, lemon juice and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over lettuce or whole grain crackers and top with guacamole, if desired.
Nutrition Information per serving:
160 calories, 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 65mg cholesterol, 1g total carbohydrate, 0g sugar, 0g dietary fiber, 370mg sodium, 18g protein. % Daily Values: 8% vitamin A, 6% Calcium, 8% vitamin C, 2% iron.
Bill Granger recipe: Spelt ricotta hotcakes with poached figs
Dec 29, 12:11AM
Sorry but we haven't been able to serve the page you requested - please try again
If you typed in a URL, please make sure you have typed it correctly.
In particular, make sure that the URL you typed is all in lower case.
If you think this article may be missing, please contact newsite@independent.co.uk stating the URL of this page.
If you require further assistance, please contact our user help staff at the following address:
McVitie's Digestives return to classic recipe after protests over loss of ...
Dec 29, 12:00AM
The recipe for the top-selling biscuit changed in two stages in 2009 and 2010, removing palm oil and replacing it with the reduced saturated fat sunflower oil
McVitie's Digestives will revert to their classic recipe from February after protests about the biscuits' loss of "dunkability" in tea.
The recipe for the top-selling McVitie's Digestive biscuits was changed in two stages in 2009 and 2010, removing sustainable palm oil and replacing it with the reduced saturated fat sunflower oil.
But some disgruntled consumers launched a protest campaign against the recipe change complaining that they missed the taste, texture and dunkability, reports the Sunday People.
In a statement the company said: "United Biscuits' decision to revert back to the classic recipe is driven by the desire to deliver the best possible taste experience for consumers."
It added Britons who want a lower saturated alternative can choose McVitie's Digestive Light.
Trade magazine The Grocer reported that the move comes as the Digestives brand is outperforming the overall biscuits market with sales up 11.8per cent year-on-year to £141.2 million in a category up 3.1per cent.
The 99 Cent Chef: Ultimate Turkey Sandwich - Video Recipe
Dec 28, 11:44PM
Everybody has their way with Christmas (and Thanksgiving) leftovers. I like nothing better than a plate of microwaved turkey, stuffing, gravy, and veggies, with a side of cold cranberry sauce. If the turkey turned out moist then microwaving is fine, but if your turkey dried out in the oven, then pour on some gravy, or reserved turkey juices, to reconstitute (always remember to save the turkey juices for such an emergency - I always pour some over my sliced bird, dried-out or not.)
As for my Ultimate Turkey Sandwich, it's pretty simple, just the standard leftovers of turkey, dressing, gravy and cranberry sauce. But what takes my sandwich over the top is an extra crisp layer of browned turkey skin.
Usually half the table will peel off the turkey skin and leave it. If I see this then I politely ask if I can have it (or, if I am serving the slices then I ask first, before giving up any turkey skin.) I can see why the skin is set aside, it is often soggy, from sitting on the steaming bird before it's served. But I like it that way too. Inevitably there is a lot of uneaten turkey skin.
This is what to do with it. Just saute the skin until brown and crispy. It's like a mild turkey bacon. And it only takes a few minutes of browning on each side. Some parts of the turkey skin have a thick layer of fat, which you can scrape off as the skin cooks, to save a few calories. (And once you've tried my crisp skin method, then you will use it with roasted chicken, too.)
The crunchy skin adds a nice contrast to the tender meat, soggy (but luscious) bread or cornbread dressing, and cool cranberry sauce. It's kind of like a Turkey BLT sandwich.
So, If you like your sandwich hot or cold, try kicking it up a notch with a crisp layer of turkey skin. And watch the video of my Ultimate Turkey Sandwich to see how I like to do it.
Ultimate Turkey Sandwich - VIDEO
Play it here, video runs 48 seconds.
Ingredients
Cooked turkey, mayo (optional,) dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, and turkey skin, between slices of bread, or a roll.
Of course, you can us any favorite leftovers and make the sandwich your way. How about just turkey, crisp skin, mayo, lettuce and tomato?
Directions
Start with sauteing segments of turkey skin. The skin can be in large or small pieces. You will add as much as you like to the sandwich. And once the skin is brown and crisp it will easily break apart to fit your sandwich.
As the skin browns you can scrape off any excess fat, although I like a little layer of it. (And since I only have whole turkey once or twice a year, the extra skin calories don't worry me.)
Saute skin until brown, about 5 minutes each side. The skin doesn't have to be totally crisp, as it will firm up more once taken off the grill, and allowed to cool for a minute. Better to undercook than burn it.
When the skin is done, then microwave the turkey slices, stuffing and gravy. (Add a little water, turkey gravy, or turkey juices over turkey slices, if it has dried out.) Usually I like to heat up the gravy separately to pour over the slices and stuffing as I assemble the sandwich.
Top sandwich with cranberry sauce and a slice of crisp turkey skin (or a few small pieces.) Sometimes I toast the bread when I make my Ultimate Turkey Sandwich.
If you like a cold turkey sandwich then assemble right from the refrigerator and add the crisp turkey skin.
Recipe: Coquito - The Travel Bite
Dec 28, 10:19PM
Redirect Notice
The previous page is sending you to
http://thetravelbite.com/recipes/recipe-coquito/?utm_source=rss.
If you do not want to visit that page, you can return to the previous page.
In honor of a special Harleyville woman and a friend through food
Dec 28, 9:00PM
- Customer Care
- Shopping
- Jobs
- Autos
- Real Estate
- Pets
- Classifieds
- Obituaries
- Place an Ad
- Get Connected
- Member Rewards
- Home
- News
- Sports
- Business
- Multimedia
- Entertainment
- Features
- Special Sections
- Blogs
- Opinion
- Archives
- Login
When finishing up last week's column, I felt a little flash of anxiety: I had no pending recipe requests to work with for this week's column.
But I know people like to read about food in Sunday's paper and I also knew that something would come to me. It always has.
Then the answer came to me plain as day, in a bittersweet kind of way.
On the Friday before Christmas, I drove up I-26 to Harleyville to attend the funeral of Mrs. Alma Collier. Miss Alma, as she was fondly called, became my friend through this food column, to which she faithfully contributed to over the years. She was sending recipes, by snail mail, of course, before I even took over writing the column in 2003.
When she found out that her daughter, Vanessa, and I knew each other, it only strengthened the bond that was forming between us.
Now, I never meet most of the people I regularly communicate with through the column. But somehow, food and recipes are so personal that I've feel like I get to know folks surprisingly well over the course of our exchanges. And it was that way with Miss Alma.
We actually didn't meet face-to-face until one year she invited me to stay with the family at camp meeting. I felt so honored to be asked.
So I drove to her house, and we rode by ourselves to the camp. In this relatively brief time, she told me how she met her husband, Vance, and ended up in Harleyville. She was proud to be a Charlestonian, though she obviously found a home in Harleyville. She served 12 years on town council and was its first female member.
She also was proud of earning a pharmacy degree as a young woman - not boastful, mind you - but it was clearly an achievement for a woman of that era.
As the pastors said during her service, Miss Alma was always at the ready with a hug for family and friends. She radiated love, especially to her children.
I will miss seeing those hand-addressed letters in my mailbox from her and will miss reading her nice notes that accompanied the recipes.
The letters felt like a real investment of her time and energy, and a glimpse into her soul. It makes me sad for that kind of communication slipping away. Emails are just not the same.
I still have pecans from the Colliers' tree in my freezer. However, the jars of goodies she put up and gave to us are long gone. Once again, food proves to be one of the greatest expressions of caring.
So in honor of Miss Alma, I searched the newspaper's archives for a few of the recipes that she shared with this column over the years.
This much I'm sure of: They're eating better on the other side since Miss Alma went through the gates.
Here is a recipe she tried and liked from the cookbook "Favorite Recipes of America."
Stuffed Eggplant
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients
2 medium eggplants
1/4 cup vegetable oil
11/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
1/4 clove garlic, chopped
11/4 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon salt
11/2 cups cooked rice
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions
Slice eggplants in half; scoop out and chop some of the pulp. Heat oil in skillet. Add eggplant pieces, beef, onion, green pepper, garlic, Tabasco sauce and salt; saute until eggplant is lightly brown. Toss with rice to blend all ingredients. Stuff eggplant halves with filling. Place stuffed halves, skin side down, in greased baking dish. Bake in 375-degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with lemon juice and serve.
Alma also liked and shared Brenda Jordan's biscuit recipe from the Ridgeville Cookbook (Baptist Church). She told me she was able to cut the recipe in half successfully.
Homestyle Sweet Potato Biscuits
Makes about 2 dozen biscuits
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
21/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
5 to 7 tablespoons buttermilk
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter and shortening until well-blended. Add sweet potatoes and enough buttermilk to make a soft dough. Lightly knead dough about 20 times. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Use a 2-inch biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet 12 to 15 minutes or until biscuits are light golden brown. Serve warm.
Who's got the recipe?
A friend who is going meatless in 2014 asked for good vegetarian chili recipes to jump-start the new diet.
Looking for a recipe or have one to share? Reach Features Editor Teresa Taylor at food@postandcourier.com or 937-4886.
Recent Photos And Videos
Follow Post and Courier
What do you think?
P&C Most Popular
Videos
- The Post and Courier - Charleston, SC
- Evening Post Books - Charleston, SC
- The Salisbury Post - Salisbury, NC
- The Georgetown Times - Georgetown, SC
- The (Kingstree) News - Kingstree, SC
- Aiken Standard - Aiken, SC
- Moultrie News - Mount Pleasant, SC
- Summerville Journal-Scene - Summerville, SC
- The Berkeley Independent - Moncks Corner, SC
- Goose Creek Gazette - Goose Creek, SC
- Davie County Enterprise - NC
- The Clemmons Courier - NC
- The Star - North Augusta, SC
- Waccamaw Times - Waccamaw, SC
Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
TOPIf at any time you'd like to stop receiving these messages, just send an email to fulltextrssfeed_com_www_google_com_alerts_feeds_08265159762519898652_9204458329824401318+unsubscribe-ballom.master.master=blogger.com@mail.feed2email.net.
To stop all future emails from feed2email.net you can reply to this email with STOP in the subject line. Thanks









{ 0 Comment... Views All / Send Comment! }
Posting Komentar